Tuesday, June 1, 2010

End Vacation Mode

Happy Memorial Day. Yesterday, my friends threw a wonderful barbecue. I stayed pretty much on track, which was satisfying. I made a couscous salad (whole wheat Israeli couscous, mint, parsley, tomato, cucumber, feta, lemon vinaigrette) and agave-sweetened oatmeal cookies to bring along, just in case I needed a couple of aces in the hole, but I would have been fine even without them. There were plenty of options. One of the hosts had made a wonderful coleslaw with pineapple and apple that was very tasty and there was a giant bowl of fresh berries, too. I did indulge in two things-- a sliver of a piece of red velvet cake (his is the best and worth every bite) and a glass of white sangria (if you eat the fruit, it's healthy, right?). Otherwise, it was all within range of things I could easily eat, sans guilt. And my glucose reading was well within normal range this morning, which is always nice (and becoming consistent). I'm also confident, from the running total I kept in my head, that I ate fewer calories than I expended yesterday, so it's all well and good.

So, without any damage control needed, on to the week...

Breakfast:
Sprouted grain cinnamon raisin english muffin with scrambled egg beaters. I added some B&B to the muffin, for a bit of salty/creamy goodness, but I didn't really taste it, so will skip it next time and just add some salt to the eggs (which I often forget to do).


Lunch:
I caught a matinee of "Sex and the City 2" (don't judge) and was unprepared, being that it was an 11:30am show with nearly a 3-hour runtime (previews included), for a massive appetite upon exiting the theater. Opting to walk, which is over a mile each way, I was ready to gnaw my own arm off by the time I was nearing home. Since movies are too easy a binge, I generally don't eat during them, or I make something to bring with me. I'd had a late breakfast, so figured (incorrectly) that I'd be okay with just a diet soda. Opting for more immediate gratification and guessing my food prep wasn't ideal with a shaky, starving body, I stopped and picked up a couple of chicken tacos to take home-- moist, grilled chicken, black beans, fresh pico de gallo, jack cheese and mildly spicy guacamole on soft, corn tortillas. It was a bit of a calorie bomb, but it was certainly tasty and incredibly satisfying. And, hey, I burned off 1/3 of it on my walk.

Afternoon snack:
Cherries and brown rice cereal with skim milk

Dinner:
Veggie burger on whole wheat bread with ketchup and 1.5% light sharp cheddar

Dessert/evening snack:
Plain Greek yogurt with a touch of agave nectar and a sliced banana.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!