Friday, May 25, 2012

Zucchini Fritters

We're going away for a couple of days. Since we're leaving, there was a zucchini in my fridge I wanted to use up. I decided on simple baked zucchini fritters. Rather than baking them in patties, I've found that muffin tins allow for even baking and a lighter texture.

Ingredients:
1 medium-large zucchini
1/2 of an onion
approx 5 tsp whole wheat pastry flour (pretty much any flour would work here)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 egg
2 oz. light cheddar cheese, grated
salt
pepper
(you could easily add fresh herbs, to taste)

First, I grated the zucchini and onion into a bowl.


Next, I poured the onion/zucchini mixture into a colander and pressed out as much moisture as I could. I sprinkled it with a pinch of salt and gave it a mix. I let it drain for about 20 minutes or so, letting the salt pull out more moisture. When ready, I pressed it again and put it into a medium mixing bowl.

I added the flour, baking powder, egg, cheese, and freshly ground pepper (to taste) and mixed with a spoon until the flour is moist.

I used a medium cookie scoop to put the mixture into an oiled muffin tin and baked at 400F for approximately 20 minutes, until nicely browned and solid in the center. This yielded 9 fritters. If you have a larger zucchini (or using 2 medium ones), add another teaspoon or so of flour and up the baking powder to a full teaspoon.

They were nice and light, while mildly crispy. I usually make these with parmesan, but I liked the texture that the cheddar added. They went well with scrambled eggs for a simple supper :-)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!