Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Upside Down Fresh Blueberry Pie

The last time I had dinner at my in-laws', my mother-in-law made a spectacular fresh blueberry pie. It's a pie containing a mix of half cooked and half fresh blueberries in a pre-baked pie shell. I abstained from a full serving, but did swipe a bite of my husband's and it was delicious! So, when we got a container of blueberries as a part of a recent CSA box, I knew I had to replicate it with my own spin.

I wanted a lower crust-to-fruit ratio, but I wanted it to taste like pie, so I added a small crust on top, baked separately, cookie-style. I also wanted to cut down on the added sugar. Whether to add sweetener or not is based on personal taste and sweetness of the berries. Careful with the stevia- it's far sweeter than sugar, so it's very easy to overdo it. Since it's served cobbler style, the pie filling can be slightly looser than when it has to hold up to slicing.



Upside Down Fresh Blueberry Pie
  • 1/4 single-crust recipe for your favorite pie dough (I used an extra virgin coconut oil crust w/ whole wheat pastry flour, lightly sweetened with stevia)
  • 5 c. blueberries, divided
  • 2 tsp. corn starch or arrowroot
  • 1 tsp. EV coconut oil (or Earth Balance stick)
  • 2 Tbl. lemon juice
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1 pinch stevia (optional)
Roll pastry and divide into 4 (I used a cookie cutter to shape). Bake at 400 F on a sheet pan until golden, approx. 5 minutes.

Divide 2 c. berries among 4 small greased ramekins (I use an oil mister to coat) and set aside. 

Toss remaining blueberries with cornstarch/arrowroot. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat and add blueberries and lemon juice. Stir frequently. The berries will open and begin to break down. Cook over low heat until juices have thickened and reduced by approx. half. Add salt and stevia, if desired. Let cool for 5-10 minutes. Spoon 1/4 of mixture to each prepared ramekin. Stir gently, if necessary, to incorporate cooked berries with the fresh berries. Top with pre-baked pastry crust.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!