Tuesday, August 21, 2012

A Woman With a Plan


Photo: Westcott Phillip, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

School starts in 6 days. Part of me wishes I had a bit more summer left to finish that very long to-do list and to squeeze in one last trip to the city, but the rest of me is excited to get back to hitting the books. At least this year, I have a better idea of what to expect. Last year hit hard, but I'd like to think I'm going into the semester better prepared.

One of my concerns is my eating/cooking habits. A full-time course load is tougher than when I did this whole thing the first time at 19. Healthy routines easily fall by the wayside when my mind is zipping from one paper or exam to another. I'm determined not to gain any more weight back, though. I know I can do this. I just have to be more organized and plan ahead, not just for dinners, but bringing lunches and snacks with me for the longer days. Luckily, exercise is actually easier during the school year, due in part to a hilly campus (I often feel like I'm back in San Francisco, with less fog).

On the bright side, the weather is already starting to show signs of turning. The days have slightly cooled and the evenings are getting chilly. I love autumn, including the weather and foods it brings with it. I'm sure I'll be relying on the crock pot more often than the weekly yogurt batch. I'm already dreaming of sweet potatoes, winter squash, crisp fall apples, and plenty of soups and stews. I expect the maple tree on the side of our house is going to explode with color before we know it.

All I really have to do is get through the first few weeks where habits can be set. I can do this.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!