This little snack packs as much of a seasoned punch as you like. They're crunchy, full of fiber and very satisfying. For me, they're like a healthier version of wasabi peas. The whole thing can be seasoned to taste, depending on what you like. If you don't have chickpeas, there are other beans work just as well. Black beans, for example, are excellent with chili & lime seasoning. If spicy isn't your thing, just some herbed salt is also wonderful. The trick is using beans that keep their shape well and retain some structure (unlike, navy beans, for example, which have a high moisture content when cooked).
Roasted Chickpeas (Garbanzos)
- 1 c. cooked, whole chickpeas, drained (canned will also work)
- 1 Tbl. olive oil
- 1 tsp. Paprika
- 1/2 tsp. of cumin
- pinch of cayenne
- Sea salt, to taste
2) Pour beans into a mixing bowl. Add olive oil & mix. Season, adjusting to taste.
3) Pour mixture onto baking sheet and roast for approx. 15 min, then mix again on sheet.
4) Bake approx. 15 more minutes, or until crispy
5) Place on a clean, cool baking sheet to cool before storing in an airtight container