Friday, September 7, 2012

CSA Box #15

Mmm... we have leeks this week. They're so tasty, especially with the potatoes we've been getting recently.

With the big bunch of celery this week and plenty of onions and carrots on-hand, I'm planning on making a large vat of chicken stock over the weekend. I usually use vegetable stock as my go-to, but I have 3 chicken spines in the freezer (we typically break down whole chickens ourselves, rather than buying pieces), so I'm going with what I have on-hand. It's an excellent way to use up any vegetables that may be on the edge and need to be used soon. It's easy, incredibly cheap and can add a quick shot flavor to just about anything.

This week's haul:
  • potatoes: a mix of red and what look like young russets
  • leeks
  • green jalapeƱos
  • sweet Italian red peppers
  • celery
  • arugula
  • spinach
  • *mystery green-- This one wasn't on our list and I have no idea what it is. I'll have to post a picture at some point to see if anyone knows what it is. It's peppery/bitter, similar to arugula, but isn't baby arugula (I looked up photos to make sure). We made pasta with it last night, though, and it tasted very good.
*EDIT: Mystery solved! Before I even had a chance to snap a photo, our CSA sent a follow-up email. The "mystery green" is actually mizuna, a Japanese mustard plant.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!