Thursday, September 30, 2010

Doctor, Doctor

I've been really frustrated with my blood sugar the past couple of months. For some reason, after the accident with my foot, where I wasn't really able to exercise much for a couple weeks, I just haven't been able to get it back down to where it was (high 80s, low 90s). It's been more in the 105 range.

I had a follow-up with my doctor today, after having routine labs last week. As it turns out, I'm doing great! My fasting blood sugar was 98 and my Hemoglobin A1c was 5.9! Excellent.

She, of course, reassured me that a glucose reading of 105 (fasting) is still within desirable range. While I've known that, I was loving how low I'd gotten it with the hopes I could lower the dosage of medication, utlimately off it completely.

Either way, I still have hopes I'll get off the medication at some point and reverse diabetes entirely. It's perfectly doable, with a little hard work and determination.

While I was there, I also had an EKG. My heart rate has been fast nearly every time I go to the doctor. Of course it has; I am usually walking there and I walk quickly. By the time she got the EKG going, my heart rate was down to normal and all looked perfectly fine. Sweet- one less thing on the radar.

I had a bit of an indulgent weekend last week. I was white water rafting with friends (the class 5s were a total thrill, btw) and we had amazing feasts. I ate real cinnamon rolls for Sunday brunch (and maybe a leftover one Monday)- real cream cheese icing and all. We also dined on filet mignon and seared tuna, popovers, grilled asparagus, cream of garlic soup, etc. I was on severe vacation mode. Luckily, I burned a bit of it off rafting and walking through too many airports. I've been doing culinary pennance all week, though.

It's warm, stormy and humid here in the city. I'm hoping it cools off again this weekend and I can dive into making a big pot of soup or stew. I'm thinking maybe chicken stew and whole wheat biscuits. Mmmmm.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!