Monday, October 18, 2010

Apple Ginger Upside Down Cake

We picked up a couple of bags of apples at the Cornell Orchard last weekend. Besides eating them, I figured I'd do an experiment or two. While looking for recipes for upside down cake, it came to me... I could make gingerbread with some gooey apples on the bottom for a perfect upside-down cake. I then remembered my mother's Broonie recipe. She didn't make traditional Scotish Broonie; it was more like an oaty gingerbread. So, after some poking around, I found a few recipes to cobble together and modify. I used Earth Balance as the fat component.

As suspected, the oaty, gingery cake leant itself well to using whole wheat pastry flour. I left in the molasses, but substituted the white sugar with Splenda. For the brown sugar mix of the fruit layer, I used Ideal Brown Sugar substitute (xylitol). I didn't add any fat to the fruit layer, just cinnamon, ginger and apples.

I was happy with how it turned out. Next time, I'll use a little less brown sugar, but otherwise I'd keep it pretty much as-is. Each portion (3" square) only weighs in at 175 calories, 28 g carbs (3 fiber, 12 sugar), 1g protein and 5g fat. I can live with that!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!