Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Pork

Last week, I was perusing the "Healthy Cooking" section on http://www.suite101.com. While there, I came across a recipe for Pork Tenderloin with Roasted Pears and Goat Cheese. It called out to me, so added a tenderloin to the grocery list and away we went. I pretty much tossed the recipe itself out the window, but it was the inspiration for the dish.

It made for a wonderful dinner. Pork is usually off my radar (outside of bacon or ham- and I rarely eat the real thing these days), but I forget how much I like it. The loin is nice and lean, too. I cut the tenderloin in half before preparing, leaving two ideal portions. I plan on using the rest for another dish later.

Breakfast:
Whole wheat raisin bagel with Brummel and Brown (B&B)

Lunch:
Leftover butternut squash and caramelized onion pizza

Dinner:
Pork tenderloin with roasted pears and goat cheese. I used red pears. They're crunchy (similar to Asian pears), so hold up well after roasting. I butterflied the loin and seasoned the filling with thyme before rolling. I roasted the pears beforehand, which yielded more roasted pear than was needed. Since I had some extra, I used it to make a sauce to go over the pork. I diced and onion and sauteed until just slightly caramelized, then added the roasted chopped pear to give it a little more color. I then deglazed the pan with apple cider, added a touch of apple cider vinegar and some B&B, then added the onion and pear back in once reduced. I sliced up the loin into medallions and poured the sauce over them. It was incredibly tasty, if I do say so, myself.

On the side, I had half a baked sweet potato (microwaved, then finished in the oven to give the skin a better texture), steamed asparagus, and multi-grain biscuits.


I made brownies for dessert, but with a big healthy twist (and delicious!). More on that tomorrow and I'll have a photo to share, too.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!