Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Carbonara & Doctor Updates

First off, I think I forgot to mention my recent doctor appointment. Once again, my A1c was 5.9! Excellent. My sugar has been pretty consistently in control, with morning readings ranging on average from 95-105. Go me! The only thing that seems to really throw me off is if I have a drink (of the adult variety) late at night without additional food.

Breakfast was leftover carnitas and refried beans on a warm, corn tortilla. Yes, I love Mexican food for breakfast.

I've fallen into a pb&j rut (the "j" mostly being strawberry, or on rare occasions a sliced banana). It's usually what I have for lunch (sometimes breakfast instead), accompanied by a handful of veggies or piece of fruit (today it was a banana).

Snack was some cottage cheese (nonfat) and a navel orange. I've gotten a string of very good oranges. When I was upstate, we got some great blood oranges, too.

For dinner tonight, I made a healthy-ish spaghetti carbonara. It's one of my most favorite pasta dishes and have had a real craving for it lately (due to not ordering it, but seeing it on a menu a few times recently), so I decided to try and "healthify" it from the usual fat-laden, cream-heavy dish.

While the pasta boiled (2 servings of whole wheat spaghetti), I cooked 3 strips of turkey bacon and a couple of leftover slices of very lean Canadian bacon and put them aside (blotting with a paper towel on both sides). I melted  a teaspoon or so of Earth Balance in the same skillet and let it sit. In a separate bowl, I whisked an egg and about a scant half a cup of skim milk together with a couple shakes of garlic powder and a few grinds of black pepper. Once the pasta was done and drained, I added it to the still-warm skillet (not hot- you don't want to scramble the egg) and added the egg mixture, stirring well with tongs. The heat from the pasta will cook the egg. While still warm, I added some parmesan cheese (to taste- I added about 1/4 cup, maybe slightly more) and the bacon.

I have to say, it tasted very close to the "real thing". On the side, we had steamed, sliced zucchini (HUGE slices- the squash was rather large).

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!