Thursday, March 3, 2011

Vegging Out

When I tested my blood this morning, it was a very wonderful 89. Annnnd we're back. I've also lost about 3 lbs. this week. Oh, yeah.

As spring approaches, I find myself scaling back on meat. I used to do an official 6 months on/6 months off thing, but now I find I naturally crave that cycle. I don't go fully vegetarian- fish is very much part of the picture, I just tend to gravitate more toward veg options. (No, the correlation of the better blood sugar and movement in weight loss isn't lost on me.)

Last night, it was spaghetti squash. After steaming it, I removed the strands and mixed with sliced zucchini, chopped spinach, Italian herbs, garlic, chopped onion, tomato sauce (Pomi strained tomatoes), and garbanzo beans. I made a layer of half the mixture in a baking dish, sprinkled some nonfat feta and added the second layer. We had a little bit of mozzarella cheese on-hand, so I spread what we had on top, along with some parmesan cheese. I gave a few cranks of a pepper mill here and there. I baked the mixture until heated through. It was nice that there was still a slight bite to the fresh veggies.

Here we have a perfectly healthy, low calorie, filling dish:



Mmmm... the best part is that I have leftovers for lunch today.

Breakfast was my latest standard of raisin bran with skim milk. I didn't snack as much as I should have, but I did grab a tangelo in the afternoon. Lunch was scrambled eggs with fresh spinach and halved grape tomatoes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!