Monday, May 14, 2012

Citrus Garlic Tilapia

I wanted something fresh, light and quick for dinner. Tonight's menu included citrus garlic tilapia, brown rice, and a snap pea and cucumber salad.

First, I started the rice. Instead of water, I used some vegetable broth.  It's a great way to quickly season rice without any fuss.

While the rice cooked, I started on the fish. I quickly sauteed some garlic in some olive oil (it won't completely cook in the oven otherwise). I gave the baking dish a quick spray of oil, as well. I placed a few slices of lemon in the dish. I patted down the filets with paper towels to dry them off and placed them on top of the lemon. This helps infuse the lemon flavor into the fish via steam without it getting tough from too much lemon juice. I then sprinkled them with lemon zest, salt, and the minced garlic and gave them a couple of cranks of pepper. I covered with foil and popped it into a 375-degree oven for about 30 minutes (until it is just opaque and flakes in the center).


Once the tilapia was in the oven, I mixed up a quick rice wine vinaigrette (rice wine vinegar, olive oil, sea salt, pepper) and prepped the veggies. I also cut a few sections of grapefruit to garnish the fish. The baked lemon slices also added some wonderful flavor to the rice. My sister sent us some blood orange olive oil that I used to finish the fish. Just a few small drops gave it some nice added depth (definitely optional).

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!