Thursday, June 28, 2012

CSA #4 & Roasted Sunchokes

Before I go into this week's CSA offerings, I need to add a recent sunchoke (AKA Jerusalem artichoke) discovery. They are delicious roasted! I have no idea why I haven't ever tried this before.

I think I've discovered one of the secrets to skin-on sunchokes-- a vegetable brush. Most people's comments I've read on the subject say that the skins are too tough when roasted. I didn't think so at all. They weren't any more intrusive than a skin-on red bliss (or other waxy) potato. What I have noticed, though, is that you have to scrub the heck out of them to get the dirt off. If they end up several shades lighter than when you started and your brush is filled with dirt, you're in business. If you start to see white, you've gone too far.

Until recently, I'd only ever eaten/prepared them raw or in purees. The weekly pile of them has made me think inside the (CSA) box. So, when roasting some chicken legs/thighs, I halved several small sunchokes, cut a few carrots to the same size, added a couple of huge cloves of garlic and tossed them in just enough olive oil to lightly coat and seasoned with salt, pepper and fresh thyme. They were in a 350F oven for about 30 minutes or so then about 20 more minutes at 450F (while the chicken was resting), after which they came out wonderfully browned, but still retaining a bit of bite to their texture. Roasting on their own, I'd go straight to 425F for about 40 minutes or so. Vegetable heaven! We scarfed them up before I even thought about taking a picture. I'm sure this won't be the last time I make this, though. I'm also betting they'd be great in a foil packet on the grill, which is much more summer weather-friendly.

This week's haul-- mostly repeats:

  • Lettuce
  • Kohlrabi
  • Kale
  • Hakuri turnips
  • Parsley
  • Scalions
  • Arugula
  • Cilantro

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!