Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Vegetable Frittata & First Harvest

We harvested our first tomatoes of the season. We've already gotten more this year than last (we had a terrible crop last year- totally our fault) and there are a ton left on the vine in various stages of ripeness. These are rambling yellow stripe. They have a mild tartness to them, which I really like. We also have romas and a couple of early girls. I'll probably add an indeterminate variety when the yellow stripes are finished producing. I love a sudden bumper crop, but I want something that will go late into the season.


I think I've been fighting something off the past few days. I've been absolutely exhausted, so not cooking much that required any sort of work. As a result, we had several vegetables that needed to be eaten. My husband had the brilliant idea of a frittata. Perfect!

Frittata is the quintessential use-stuff-up dish. All you need are about 3 eggs per person, whatever fillings you want, and an oven-safe frying pan. You can use anything for fillings, from veggies to meats or even pasta. If the vegetables are raw, it's best to soften them a bit before adding so that they don't take too long in the oven, resulting in overcooked eggs. Start the eggs in the pan (I usually sauté aromatics then add the beaten eggs), add the veggies, par-cook the eggs, then top with cheese (if using) and finish in a 375F oven for about 10-15 minutes (or longer, depending on size of pan and amount of fillings). You could also broil the cheese to finish, if it's not browned enough for your taste.

Tonight's frittata for two was 4 whole eggs, 1/2c of egg whites, low fat cheddar and plenty of veggies. I used green onion, kohlrabi, kakuri (a Japanese salad turnip), broccoli, spinach and tomato. I quickly blanched the turnip, broccoli and kohlrabi. At the same time, I sautéed the spinach in a small amount of olive oil with the green onion and a minced clove of garlic. Along with basic seasoning, I also grabbed some chives, parsley and oregano from the garden. Despite the veggies being chosen more for expiration than complement, I loved this particular mix of textures and flavors. The turnips and kohlrabi added body, while the rest of the vegetables and herbs kept it light, yet satisfying.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!