Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Kale Chips

They're nothing new, but if you haven't tried kale chips before, you should. Health schmealth, they're delicious!  At one point while toasting in the oven, I swear they smell like popcorn. You can add whatever seasonings you like, though I tend to stick to olive oil and salt because I love the flavor combination. With an abundance of kale in the house, I knew I needed to whip up a batch for movie night. I was reminded that it's been way too long since I've made these. They're kid-friendly, too! Just be careful what you call them or you may lose your audience.

They're light, delicate and crispy... and very easy to make.


Kale Chips
  1. Preheat your oven to 350F while you wash and dry the kale. Thorough drying is very important for crispy kale chips. I use a salad spinner followed by a clean towel.
  2. Trim the thick stems and tear into bite-size pieces, though not too small (there will be shrinkage). Try and keep them somewhat consistent in size for even cooking.
  3. In a large bowl, either toss with a very light coat of olive oil, or use a mister and toss to ensure they're fully coated. I prefer a mister to keep the calories down.
  4. Spread them on a large baking sheet and sprinkle with your favorite seasonings.
  5. Toast in the oven for 7-15 minutes, depending on your oven and the dryness of the kale, checking them periodically and turning as necessary. 
Keep an eye on them. They crisp up quickly and burn easily if they go beyond that. Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!