Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Life is Just a Bowl of Cherries

Edit: Even though there was quite a bit of splurging going on today, I still managed to burn approximately 680 calories more than I ate. So, in the big picture, not so terrible!


Breakfast:
Home made oatmeal (1/3c. oats, water, cinnamon, ginger, agave nectar) with sliced bananas.


Lunch:
I was bad. Very, very bad. Know what? It felt gooood (and tasted even better). I was out running errands and the smell of Ray's pizza got to me. After months and months of ignoring its existence, I thought, "What the heck?". I figured I deserved a splurge. I had one plain slice (weighing in at approximately 577 calories). I ate it up as soon as I got home, long before I thought about picking up my camera, but this is the gist:


Afternoon snack:
A handful of fresh cherries I picked up from a fruit vendor yesterday. Juicy and sweet!


Dinner:
Tonight, I few friends and I are seeing a show and have reservations at a nearby restaurant. I've already *scoped out the menu and plan on having either the Salmone alla Contadina (Fresh salmon sautéed with capers, sun-dried tomatoes, and white wine served with a fresh vegetable medley) or the fish of the day.

Edit: I started with the caprese salad. It's one of my favorites. There was something extra zesty in the tomatoes, almost like they were marinated in something acidic. My friend (at another table) had commented on it, too. Whatever it was, it worked. Pardon the photo quality- they dimmed the lights and I didn't want to use the flash.


I went with the fish of the day. It was Black Sea Bass with roasted tomatoes, garlic, small potatoes on a bed of spinach. It tasted wonderful! I was so busy cleaning my plate, the camera was the last thing in my mind (the piece of fish was massive, so I held back from eating the whole thing. I practically licked the rest of the plate, however).

If we do dessert, I'll have what I always have there-- their berries and cream. Simple, somewhat healthy, and absolutely delicious.

Edit: I did go for the berries (strawberries and raspberries), though it didn't occur to me until half way through to snap a picture of their beauty. They tasted amazing, though.


The show we're seeing is cabaret-style, which means lots of flowing calorie-laden drinks. Here's where having both liver and blood sugar issues is a blessing in disguise. My club soda with a nice squeeze of fresh lime is not only non-impact, but good for me!

*Tip: Whenever I'm going out to dinner and know about it ahead of time (and, face it, I'm in NYC, so often have to make reservations ahead), I always take a peak at the menu online ahead of time. This helps Menu-Overwhelm Disease, as well as ensuring they have foods I'm willing to eat (or how specific I'll need to be when ordering slightly off-menu). It goes against my Foodie core, but it's all in the name of health and still generally nets a nice meal.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!