Saturday, June 12, 2010

Green Market Day (And New Cookware in Action, Part 2)

We had a beautiful afternoon here in the city today. It was warm enough to be comfy in just a t-shirt and jeans, but not hot and sticky enough to be miserable (I melt too far over about 75 degrees F). I figured I'd get out and get some air while exploring the Greenmarket at Union Square. I picked up a small, but nice haul:
- A bunch of large radishes
- 2 large zucchini, perfect for stuffing
- 5 beautiful, vine-ripened tomatoes
- 2 herb plants: oregano and sweet basil

I incorporated some of each into tonight's dinner.


Dinner:
First off, it was a chance to use my new All-Clad French Skillet. I was glad I didn't have to try and force these beautiful summer squash into a smaller pan or have it float in a massive 9x14

Stuffed zucchini-- Zucchini, halved, and stuffed with fresh tomato, fresh oregano, fresh basil, garlic, pepper, whole rye cracker crumbs (just enough to absorb the extra liquid), Boca organic crumbles, topped with grated ricotta salata in the last few minutes.

The skillet in action, before putting in the oven:


And the zucchini post-oven. The zucchini still had a bite to it, so everything still had a very fresh taste. This entire meal seems huge and was quite filling, all for approx. 345 calories.



The radishes I bought were the inspiration for the side dish. Aren't they gorgeous? And they're about the size of beets! I couldn't pass them up. Cutting into them, they smelled as good as they looked.


Mashed potato salad: Red potatoes (mashed, skin-on), Greek yogurt (0%), deli mustard, radishes, crisp dill pickles. My mother used to make this when I was a kid and I loved it, though hers was from peeled, Idaho potatoes, and using mayonnaise instead of yogurt. I was never a big fan of mashed potatoes, but enjoyed this way of her using the leftovers. I love the savory flavors. I purposely made a small batch (two medium-sized potatoes) so that I wouldn't overdo it.



This is one of those dishes best prepared warm, but served cold. It gives the flavors a chance to really sink into the potatoes. The mustard also gets sharper when chilled. It's good to keep that in mind when making it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!