Sunday, July 18, 2010

Cheese and Clumsiness

I found a cheese shop in Manhattan I really like. They've got a nice variety of cheeses from several countries, including Mizithra. In case you've never tasted it, it's a Greek sheep cheese, similar to the Italian Ricotta Salata. I especially love it simply, on stringy pasta (usually whole wheat thin spaghetti), combined with romano or parmesan, a bit of fat (olive oil or B&B) and garlic. Sometimes I'll also add a bit of sauce to the mix, sans oil (or at least less of it).

For those who are fans of The Old Spaghetti Factory, it's a healthier version of Spaghetti a la Homer (mizithra, browned clarified butter, pasta, and I think a bit of romano). It's a strong part of my childhood, as it was a place you can take a huge family and not bust the budget, and my introduction to this lovely dry cheese. I always did the Manager's Favorite, either half meat or mushroom sauce/half Homer. As I got older, I had them hold the browned butter. I know it's sacrilege, but I'm really not a butter fan, outside of sweet cream butter on fresh-from-the-oven bread. At least my cholesterol levels thank me.

I've already used a bit of my recent score. I did some reading up on cheese preservation because I bought a huge ball, about the size of a young coconut, so will be breaking it up into smaller chunks to be doled out over time.

I'll post more when I can snag some photos, before I wolf it down. Same with the preservation method, once I've tried it myself.

My workouts have been somewhat compromised the past week or so. I did something silly and ended up with several stitches in my foot. I'm fine and it doesn't even hurt much now, unless I do something to aggravate it, but walking was unpleasant for several days, to say the least. Even when the wound itself didn't hurt much, it was a pain in the rear to walk on it. Tomorrow I get the stitches out. Hooray!! I've been tempted for a couple of days now to take a seam ripper to them, so I'm anxious to get them out.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!