Saturday, November 6, 2010

Operation Pantry Roundup, Day 3

Pantry items used:
Canned Salmon
Oats
Dried spaghetti (whole wheat)
Crushed tomatoes (Pomi)

Blood glucose (fasting): 105

Breakfast:
Kashi Island Vanilla cereal, skim milk and banana (medium)

Snack:
Banana

Lunch:
Salmon burger on TJ's whole wheat sandwich round with cranberry mustard
Side of Trader Joe's Baked BBQ Potato Chips

Somehow, I ended up with a can of salmon. I don't ordinarily eat canned salmon, so I'm not quite sure why I ended up with it, but I did. Anyway, I haven't had a salmon burger in ages, so why not? I tossed the salmon in a bowl with some lemon juice, dried oats, egg white, minced onion, thyme and black pepper, then blended together, adjusting oats and egg where needed for consistency.

It got me to thinking of a restaurant in California I used to frequent that had excellent salmon burgers and always a great selection of mustards on the table, one of which was cranberry. They were a perfect combo. I mixed some cranberry sauce I had in the fridge with some deli mustard (the only mustard I had on-hand, though the grainy stuff would be better) and a touch of light mayo and voila! The result was very tasty-- sweet, but tangy. I have the remaining uncooked patties in the freezer for a later time.


Afternoon snack:
Blanched edamame sprinkled with kosher salt


Dinner:
Whole wheat spaghetti with marinara, turkey meatballs, spinach and parmesan

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!