Thursday, November 11, 2010

Opinions

First off, I want to comment on the blog post out there that has a lot of people talking. It's the Marie Claire post about overweight couples on television, specifically on the new show Mike and Molly. While I take issue with a lot of what she said, the author did recant and publicly apologize. Enough people have spoken up that I don't think I offer anything new to add on the subject, so I'll skip any parroting (though there is a LOT I could say on the subject).

One thing that puzzles me is that this show is seen as so ground-breaking. Did we not see Dan and Roseanne nearly 20 years ago (Roseanne being probably my all-time most favorite sitcom)? They were funny and affectionate and nowhere near being strangers to making fun of themselves and their sizes (and everyone around them). Are The Honeymooners different because it was only the man who was obese? While I think it's great that M&M is on the air and looking at a somewhat realistic couple (as much as one can be on a sitcom) with realistic issues and finding humor in it, I have to also wonder just what all the fuss is about. If you like it, watch it. If it's not your cup of tea, don't watch it. It's so simple. There are a lot of TV shows out there with which I take issue. You know what? I don't watch them. If enough people share my views, a show goes off the air. M&M has rocketed to high ratings and has developed quite an audience in a short amount of time. That shows me that some find it enjoyable and entertaining.

Okay, that's my two cents on the subject. Moving on...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!